Monday, January 13, 2014

Mind over MUSCLE









After recently attending a training  for Les Mills CX WORKS I had an eye opening experience.  My lovely trainer challenged us to hold a hover for three minutes.  She also went on to further the challenge by adding the statement, "athletes can hold a hover for five".  Thoughts rushed through my head with questions of my capabilities; can I withstand the shaking?  Can I be strong?  Can I be mentally strong?

We started the challenge and it felt like one right a away.  It was very hard to imagine lasting the whole time.  My mind kept saying five minutes was completly unrealistic.  Once we accomplished three minutes I shook with wonder of whether or not I could fight for two more minutes.  The clock kept ticking and I continued to shake.  I tried to ignore everything around me and focus on what I wanted, to only show myself that I could do it.  20 seconds were left and my arms were staying tall but barely.  As the seconds grew closermybody was truly coming to failure, slowly my arms gave out just as the last final seconds ended but I managed to finish.  I could hardly move my body after.

Many people exercise with the hope of change to their body but one thing we need to change first is our head.  How can we bring about a change if we can't with stand the pressure, burn, or challenge to stretch beyond our own comforts?

I was in shock when I actually made it for a whole five minutes in a hover without ever dropping.  After the training I decided to make a comittment to myself that I would start to practicing hovers for three minutes once every week.  My final goal is to perform another five minute hover by my birthday in March and then practice again for another three months and do another five minute challenge in June and again in October.  One simple challenge mostly for mind over body.

You can join me in this challenge.  Choose your own time not mine.  Start with a 30 sec. training time with a goal of 1 minute.  Are YOU in?

Tell me what you think about this challenge.  What is your mental challenge? You can also follow me, killerkars's fitfactor on Facebook and we can support each other.  Put a reminder in your phone to check in at the end of every week or sometime during the week to work on your own challenge or do this with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment