Monday, September 20, 2010

Confessions of a Modern Mommy trying to be healthy

February 21st, 2014----Not trying to be the skinny mom next door---

I truly love the ideal of a person like Gwenyth Paltrow.  She has the sense about her that is down to earth and natural.  She is mature and easy going about life.  Whenever I see people like her with their long legs and slender body it doesn't seem fair compared to my 5'3"height.  Growing older into my 30s I am trying to appreciate the life as a short person.  At some point in life you just have to stop wishing for what you don't have and except what you do.  Work what your mamma gave ya, right?  Even though I still wouldn't mind having a taller bodyI am finally able to be a happy just being me.

I truly believe deep down inside that if as individuals we took care of our bodies by exercising in some shape or form each day and limited our indulegences we would be a happier society. So many people are weighed down with a lack of self esteem.  When as a society we see someone truly succeeding we should be happy because thats what they are good at.  No matter what we indivually look like or are good at, we all have something unique to ourself.  Once we harness and nourish those talents we can contribute to society and be confient with who we are and can care less about competeing over material things.

When I am taking care of my body and feeling my best it doesn't matter to me when I see someone with the "IDEAL" shape.  When I am living up to my own true potential Joy is found in the person that I am. True self confidence is based on a fulfillment of who we are, that we are doing everything in our power to live up to our own individual talents and potential that is unique to us along.  It is not based on a feeling of Pride, being better than your neighbor or the girl standing next to you in line at the mall because the posessions you own are nicer.  There will always be a prettier face, a skinnier body, a nicer/bigger house.


February 16th, 2013

Who doesn't want to feel better?  So many people want to feel better but do no have the will power.  What I have learned about myself and will power is my topic for a confession today.  I have no problem with will power at the store.  I pick and choose sweets sparingly.  Some times other people give me treats, bring treats to work, or offer them at parties or are available when eating out making it harder to say no.

Our actions are guided by our thoughts.  Since the new year began I have been reducing the sugar intake to small quantities but none the less I still am having a serving or more on most days.  In order to achieve my goals I feel it is necessary to reduce treats to no more than 3 servings in a week.  When sugar is around, in order to avoid it I have to remind myself that the sugar/treat does not lead me toward my goal of feeling healthy.  The best way to avoid it is not to have access to it on days you shouldn't have it at all.  If your family is like mine not everyone else wants to avoid treats so they usually are more readily available.

Sometimes when I am stressed I want to ignore my inner voice telling me no.  Sometimes I also remind myself that one hour of exercise is not worth the 1 minute of indulgence it would take to burn off a large helping of a dessert.  Don't get me wrong its ok to indulge and enjoy what people create, works of art even sometimes.  I try to just keep those moments of indulgence few and far between.

So here is where my real lesson was learned.  After eating really healthy for so long I was faced with a long weekend challenge of food choices while my husband and I enjoyed a vacation away from our children.  We made the choice to go out to eat once each day.  That really isn't so bad right?  My calorie intake didn't really differ from my normal intake so much but the quality and quantity of what I was eating did.

Day one
Homemade granola and almond milk  breakfast
Light N fit protein meal bar -snack
2 cabbage rolls-lunch
almonds, 2 carrots, fuji apple, chocolate covered strawberries-snacks
Lasagna Pimevera-Olive Garden
Olive Garden Salad
Dessert-moose tracks ice cream

Day two
Protein meal bar-breakfast
blueberries, Pear- snacks

Lunch Sandwhich
2-Whole wheat toast
smoked salmon
cream cheese
spinach leaves
tomatoes

Dinner-Gyro Sandwich

Dessert
Brownie and a piece of chocolate cake

Day 3
Scrambled egg and Homemade granola with almond milk

lunch protein meal bar, apple
Dried apricots

BBQ meat, coleslaw and potato wedges.

Moose track ice cream 1 cup

The pattern here is that I had to eat less frequently while consuming way more calories during my dinner meals with a treat later in the day.  In order to enjoy those meals I had to be very limited on all other choices during the day while running around.  My metabolism probably didn't like me as much either because I drank less water being so busy also.  I'm sharing this because I could tell my body felt much different these days.  I think its ok to have times like this with in reason but if we as a society want to enjoy the finer unhealthy things in life we have to make up for it else where.  Not that I have had my fill of sweets I'll be starting my cleanse tomorrow so I can kick the sugar.  I am going to strive to go a month with out for a cleaner body and for hopefully healthier skin.  I feel my body/skin especially my face seems to react with breakouts when I have sugar.  We can have will power over what we eat but in order to do so we have to have a driving force.

Ask yourself
why do I want the sugar?
when was the last time I had sugar?
How much should I have without hating my body or self after?
Have I eaten my vegetables today?
How late is it during the day?

If we want to look and feel better we have to do a better job with the choices we make.  Think before you Bite!















January 2nd  2013

Well I made it pass Christmas but haven't looked at a scale yet to see what the damage might be.  I'm waiting till after I'm back in my routine and kids are in school.  I think it is important to have a scale to keep my self informed with how I'm doing but I don't let be my only source for healthy success.  I did have some treats over the Holiday but what saved me the most what not depriving my self of treats but not letting my self eat to get full.
1. Confession- Of course I like sugar I just limit it.  I have to have some sometimes.

2. Confession - After getting through the holidays where treats are hard to avoid and an anniversary, spouses birthday the only way I will kick the sugar dependence will be to start the year with a cleanse.  I also am prepping myself by drinking homemade lemonade.  Lemons are really good for cleaning the body, kidney's more so than anything.  Buy 4-5 lemons and Fill a pitcher of water, Squeeze lemons in and then to taste add some Truvia or non at all, just enough to make it pleasant to drink without being too sweet.  I really don't crave sugar when I'm drinking something that taste more tart.

As an adult I feel it is necessary to track what you want to accomplish, goals need to be scheduled in making them everyday habits.   Overall wellness-MENTAL, Social, Physical, Spiritual, etc.....These are my guides for the year.  The following are just my general goals.  Be sure to write your goals down and share them with someone you care about.  Have someone else hold you accountable for your goals, you will have more success that way.  Before you overwhelm your self start simple.  Determine what you can make into daily habits and how.  If you don't write in on the daily calendar then it won't happen, it will get bumped to something else less important.  A person with 10 goals is more likely to succeed than someone with 30.

Goal 1.  Eating healthy and exercise
Goal 2. Maintain a functional home
Goal 3. Read books
Goal 4. My time for girl's nights
Goal 5. Read scriptures daily, and have meaningful prayers often more than once a day.
Goal 6. Spend quality time with spouse and Children
Goal 7. Take more vacations-relaxation time.
Goal 8. Get personal Training Certification and make Exerxise workouts available on UTUBE.
Goal 9. Help and serve others
Goal 10. Work on projects and hobbies

These are a few things that as a Spouse, women, and parent I've come to realize.
1. No TV during the day helps me get more accomplished that I feel good about.  Keep it off till you need a little down time at night if needed.  Set a time for the TV to go off at night.

2. Wake up earlier and get any self or home maintenance done before kids wake up.

3. Don't grocery shop hungry, have a game plan in mind before you go to the store.  Try and meal plan at least one week at a time. Don't buy things that are going to make you cry when you look at a scale or in the mirror.
 * If you are a person with more than 10 lbs to loose* Treat your excess weight like a credit card, cut your self off from bad habits and comitt to change.  Don't let your self get bored, get active even if that means paking really far from an entrance to a store when you go shopping.
-No going out to fast food, if you eat out....only healthy choices
- No late eating after 8, go to bed earlier and you won't be tempted to eat.
-No treats except 2 days of the week.
-Burn at least 300 calories extra a day.  
-no pop, no candy bars, no baking treats that sit out and stare at you in the face all day saying  "EAT ME"

4. When I want a treat only make something or grab something small or freeze leftovers.
Confession-sometimes I feel guilty throwing away food so if I bake a treat like brownies, cookies, cake etc... I will freeze leftovers and yes, they taste just as good weeks later.

5.  My days are better when they are predictable with what I eat and what I'm doing. Keep things simple

6.  I'm a better mom, person and parent when I sweat toxins from my body through exercise.

7.  If you can't get to a gym then try these sources-turbo kick, turbo fire, can you 24 ( check my advocare site for infor), Self magazine.com-exercise videso, sugar fit, utube videos and fittv on HULU.  Make the time and you will be a better person for it.   If I accomplish some of my goals you might even be able to exercise with me on UTUBE!  Stay tuned.

Happy New Year.  I am going to try really hard to keep you all posted with my own progress dos and don'ts of the new year and my own goals.  Don't forget to start readying BOOKS,  #1 Recommended book to read first......PUSH By Chalene Johnson

















October 10th, 2012

I have been eating so clean lately with a little something here or there and then SMACK, I get my period and of course I want some kind of sugar or chocolate.

Right after I was done with my cleanse my husband puts in a request for pumpkin cake.  So of course I did have piece.  I can't just make that and have one piece so what did I do?  I froze two pieces for the next weekend.  Once you take it out of the freezer and let it sit, its like you just made it.  So good.  The next time you make something good, freeze the,  rest so you don't eat more than you should in one day.

The other day I was at the grocery store, still during my period.  I decided to buy a little Dove chocolate bar,   I split it in three with my two boys.  This way I was able to have some chocolate.  I couldn't even have more because there was no more once it was gone.  The next time you want to give it, buy a small serving size and split it!


I hope this helps somebody????????  Please leave some feedback.


September 5th, 2012

My confession today is about not keeping up with everything in different ways.  If we can't find time for the things we want in life then what are we doing?  I felt like this summer in order for me to have more time taking my kids places I had to let some other things go.  Sometimes it drove me crazy looking at a pile of laundry build up, dirt on the floor, my hair not done, or even dust on my furniture.  Sometimes I choose cleaning over doing something with my kids.  Sometimes I also choose Ice cream or fried food, not fast food but fried.  I may not keep up with everything but I'm trying to keep up with something that I can feel happy about at the end of the day.  This is something I am working hard at in life.  Choosing the things that matter more at the time.  Sometimes I think it is ok for your child to watch a little tv so you can have a clean home.  Just not every day, all day.  Find balance.  I am also saying that to myself.  When I write something to help, I also tell my self the same thing!  Don't let media, internet make you feel like you have to do it all.  Find your talents and work on those.  Focus on Family, yourself, work (staying home with kids is work), friends.
Make GOALS!  If you don't make goals for your day or week then you can't check it off your list.


September 1st. 2012
I am not a calorie counter.  My confession........I have started.  The reason I have is because it finally makes sense for me to do so.  Myfitnesspal, this is an app for smart phones.  If you are a person trying to eat healthy or loose some weight and you have a smart phone then use it!  I tell you this because I always saw calorie counting as a dieting tool, I don't like to diet.  I actually feel like I allow my self to make better food choices by using it.  Not only can you scan labels, but you can buddy up with friends with no hassle. Try and tell me what you think!





Aug. 31st  2012
When I am bored I'm more likely to eat what I shouldn't.  One day I decided to make homemade reeses peanut butter cups.  Yeah, I had to think about that one.  What my solution to this problem is stay busy.  I really don't give myself enough time to just rest because I try to stay too busy.  What I did today to avoid the problem was this.  My husband took my son out to the store and my little guy was sleeping.  After I got everything picked up around the house I decided to actually watch a show, "The Doctors".  Instead of just sitting and watching I folded clothes while doing so.  Not only did I get to rest, I got laundry folded and I got to watch a show I enjoy.  This is a very rare occasion.  I normally don't watch any TV during the day, none.

So another confession, some nights after kids go to bed all I do is watch TV.  This is not an every night occurrence but does happen. This is usually the time I end up grabbing or go searching for a treat.  How do I get past this?  Do something while watching.  Coupon clipping, scrap booking, painting toenails, folding laundry etc....  

One of the most helpful things I do before eating is commit to an amount or serving size and time.  If I know eating something before I got to bed is going to tempt me; then I will allow my self something healthy like yogurt or crackers with hummus, popcorn, frozen yogurt or oatmeal cookie no later than 8:30pm.  I usually make it to bed at 10:30 or 11pm.  I also try to make this no more 200 calories.  I also use the method of committing on a serving size especially when I am eating a dessert, pizza, bread or something greasy.  When I do this I remind myself it won't be the last chance for something I am allowing my self to enjoy.  I find I enjoy it more and have less guilt about what I am eating this way.

I hope this helps.





Aug27th, 2012
So in my efforts to update every thing more regularly I'm adding to this post!

 No longer pregnant but having three little ones running around keeps me busy.  I have a 2nd grader, a three year old and a one year old.  I find after every pregnancy it takes me at least a year to get back to some normality.  I'm telling you this because I think too many women get down on themselves because they aren't back in their skinny jeans like all the super stars after one month of having their baby.   Some people say I bounce back to my old body after having a baby, but for me it is not without effort.  Every time I've had a baby I've had to work out more and eat more clean.  For all the moms out there trying to get into those skinny jeans without eating.......,STOP!  If you don't eat you are going to be disfunctional, crabby and emotional, and where is that going to get you?

Eating clean is hard and guess what I don't always do it.  I try to 75% of the time.  I leave my self wiggle room because I'm a women, I have chocolate cravings like the rest of you.  Luckily I have recently discovered a few good chocolate fixes that don't put me out on a ledge screaming, " what have I done?".
Hershey came out with those new Simply chocolates.  I allow my self two a day when I have them in the house.  This should not be an every day thing for life.  Recently I have also discovered Quaker's mini chocolate rice cakes, Yummy.  Something I find helpful for me when I just have to have some chocolate is to buy a single serving size of a candy bar, ice cream or cookie, that way I have no other choice but to stop at just one.  One more thing, like the rest of ya sometimes I want my chocolate in the morning, Yes, in the morning.  Eating a very small bite size piece of chocolate after a healthy breakfast sometimes helps me not think about having sweets all day.

No matter what your age be honest with yourself.  I'm 31 now and I find this to be the age of mid life crisis.  Trying to be the best mom, spouse, employee, friend, child and person is a lot to juggle.  I have to imagine that men probably feel the same way.  To me, being 31 means I'm not young any more.  I should have more figured out in life by 31 right?  Looking around me while at the grocery store, my daughter's school or even at the gym there seems to be so many successful people and I question myself if I am a successful person or if I am of worth?  Despite my efforts to not play the "keeping up with the Jones's" game I still thinks important to feel confident with what I choose to do with my life.  I'm telling you this for a few reasons.
1) In order to reach your health goals you need to be healthy in and out!  Except who you are and try to be your best self, not everyone else's best self.  Find your own strengths and strive to make those better.
2) Your worth is not determined by what you have in life, it is about the kind of person you are.    I am a religious person and this quote helps me keep my focus in life on the big picture stuff and not material things that can make us get down when we don't have every thing money buys. "Our Savior, Jesus Christ, evaluated "the product"-US.  He decided We, you and I are worth it.  He loved us enough to pay the price for all our sins"  Henry B Eyring

Every day I have to try a little harder to live life by my goals and priorities.  This can be a hard task but I still try.





New Confession Oct. 26th 2010

I am pregnant. Normally I eat at least 1 large salad a day. Since my morning and night sickness has kicked in I have not been able to eat any salads. (insert a scream here) What am I suppose to do? Well I will try and keep adding anything healthy that I make over the next 7 months along with other recipes I just think are healthy. Less pictures of meals will make it onto the site but I will do my best to continue to help all those health seekers out there.

Healthy confessions for today.

Currently my stomach is not agreeing with a whole lot of healthy foods. I do find however that having a smoothie in the morning usually settles pretty well. I think Smoothies are one of the best ways to start your morning. I usually have something hardy to eat with it like a whole grain piece of toast. You can blend in a small amount of spinach into your smoothies without being able to taste it.

What I use for my smoothies (serving size 2-4) :

Frozen strawberries 1-2 cups
1 large or 2 small bananas
1/2-1 cup activia vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup light orange juice
1/4 cup soy or regular milk
1/2 -1 cup spinach leaves, optional
1-2 tbsp flax mill optional for a nutty texture

The measurements are a rough estimate. Do it to taste.



Treat confession for today.

My weaknesses are calling my name. This morning while at the grocery store I decided to grab 2 doughnuts. I can go a whole year without eating a doughnut no problem they hardly tempt me but not today. Why am I telling you this, well because on a normal basis I don't eat them so if one day out of 365 days of the year I think I'll be ok. Making healthy choices the rest of the day will also be important to make up for it. Always move forward and don't focus on looking back.


I think it is important to be healthy on a regular basis however, sometimes it is ok to just have a treat. Portion size is so important for when you decide to have a treat along with the time of the day you are having the treat. I find that when it is that time of the month I just really want/need chocolate. Sometimes I have my chocolate after my lunch and decide not to have any treats after kids go to bed. For the days I choose to have a treat at about 8 at night I make sure to use a small bowl or dish to serve the dessert in. Read a label and know what 1 serving is and stick to it and be done. I find it ok to enjoy life's little pleasures I just try to do it within reason.


Oct 1st 2010
To start off, I love to laugh when I get that chance. I intend on using this section of my blog to add postings of my recent health thoughts and confessions. Hopefully this will help you find the lighter side of all your health efforts.

Confession
Treats that I like to enjoy:
1) Ice cream you scream we all scream for Ice Cream (when I'm trying to be good I'll have frozen yogurt instead)
2) Rice Cakes with peanut butter on top blended with a little bit of frosting
3) Frosted animal crackers, not the ones dipped in pink and white frosting covered with sprinkles
4) Cookies
5)Chocolate and peanut butter (one of my absolute favorite combinations however I can get it)


When I am trying to use SkillPower to choose a healthy snack I reach for
1) apples
2)yogurt
3)grapefruit
4)healthy granola bar
5)kettle popcorn
6) Veggie potato chips
7) carrots
8) hummus!
9)soy milk or Almond milk
10)smoothies


Some times I just want to treat myself at the end of the day don't you? So in light of not always wanting to indulge myself too much I try and keep my treats only 1 serving size. A real serving size. Whenever you are going to treat yourself grab the smaller bowl or plate and you'll be happier later for it.

When do I treat my self? I have found that I need treats almost everyday. Thats not good so I try and go about 3 days before I have a more sinful treat and not late at night.

My husband loves Oreo cookies. When he eats them in front of me its hard not to resist so instead of beating myself up over it I just allow my self 3 and I'm done as long as its before 8:30.

There are just some treats in life I want to enjoy so if we cookies hanging around and I really want to eat them I'll tell my self what the limit is before I start and I try to eat them in the middle of the day after a healthy lunch. More time to burn it off.


Stay tuned for confessions.


More confessions. October 3rd.

I try and eat my treats earlier in the day so at least if I have them I can burn it off through the day. I am a female and when it is that time of the month it is really hard to resist the sweets.

I'm learning I am strong but not always that strong. One way I try to make a treat a little more healthy is by adding granola to vanilla frozen yogurt. I love ice cream so right now I'm trying to keep frozen yogurt on hand instead of having ice cream that I will curse later.


I spent almost a whole day making unhealthy crust to eat with apple pies. My goal is to only have one slice in a sitting in one day no more. The best time to make large treats is when you have company, then at least you're not left with everything to yourself.

I've really started to look at certain treats differently. Somethings just don't sound good any more and almost never tempt me. Some treats just wont leave me alone. I'm starting to feel like my mom who would buy devil snack cookies and York patties to have a less fattening treat. I have bought both these in the last month.

My last confession of the night. I know that if I want and do have a treat I will have to find a way to burn it off with in the next 24 hours. Is a treat really worth that? As a mom sometime food does bring comfort even for guys they just don't admit it as much.

For all ladies or gentlemen wanting that sweet taste sometimes, have a bite! Just don't find yourself eating the whole package, carton or box to yourself. Treating yourself in more then one way is important. Let your self have a treat but also make your self work for the next one by exercising regularly! Exercise is a treat to your body too even if it as little as taking the stairs instead of an elevator!




October 3rd 2010

I lied, I thought of some more things.


I am a creature of habit. I pretty much have to have the same breakfast every morning or I just don't feel right. I eat granola cereal every morning with Soy milk or Almond Breeze.

Second, is it really that easy for some people to just be what we think is healthy and not exercise. If they don't exercise and are thin or "skinny" are they healthy? These are some of my thought I must confess. I get to exercise for my profession. When I see people that are trying so hard to be healthy and putting their body through challenging work it just doesn't seem fair. Some people out there never pick up a weight or sweat over a work out and look like they don't have any challenge with weight, how can this be?

I will say that some people do eat so healthy that they are not putting the fat in their body to have to burn off. I hope at least some time they do enjoy the sweet things in life.

Exercise for me is not just about working off the fattening sweets. I learned a long time ago that exercise was a way for me to mentally healthy. Exercise has helped me though some very challenging times in my life. Break ups can affect a lot of people and what better way to lift your spirits by sweating out frustrations. No matter what your stresses are in life exercise and you will find your self to be a happier person!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of chocolate and peanut butter... oh man I bought a jar of Nutella the other day and I have been eating peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches... oh why is it soooo good. I have just learned that I CAN not buy or make cookies very often (like once every three months)... for some reason even if I tell myself to only have 2 or three I end up eating 7 or 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try and put cookies in the freezer after I make them, that way we don't go through them as fast and they are easier to forget about.

    ReplyDelete